Update on Pending VCS Methodology Revisions
As the voluntary carbon market continues to rapidly expand, so too does the evolution of the rules and procedures designed to address greenhouse gas reductions. Earlier this year, we proactively reached out to methodology developers to encourage them to update their methodologies to conform with new VCS rules. In particular, a number of AFOLU methodologies needed to follow new rules on the timing of emissions from certain carbon pools. To make the process as painless as possible, we gave project developers a six month grace period where they could still use the older methodologies without restriction. That grace period expires on 30 September 2012.
Five methodologies have already submitted revisions. We are currently in the process of making final technical checks, and these methodologies will be approved for use by the end of October 2012. These five methodologies are:
- VM0003: Methodology for Improved Forest Management through Extension of Rotation Age, v1.0
- VM0007: REDD Methodology Modules (REDD-MF), v1.1
- VM0008: Methodology for Weatherization of Single and Multi-Family Buildings, v1.0
- VM0009: Methodology for Avoided Mosaic Deforestation of Tropical Forests, v1.1
- VM0015: Methodology for Avoided Unplanned Deforestation, v1.0
Additionally, four more developers have indicated plans to update their methodologies, but have not yet completed the process. As such, these methodologies will be placed on a temporary hold as of 1 October 2012 until that process is complete. VCS will continue to work with methodology developers to have these methodologies updated as soon as possible to minimize any disruption to projects. These methodologies are:
- VM0005: Methodology for Conversion of Low-productive Forest to High-productive Forest, v1.1
- VM0006: Methodology for Carbon Accounting in Project Activities that Reduce Emissions from Mosaic Deforestation and Degradation, v1.0
- VM0010: Methodology for Improved Forest Management: Conversion from Logged to Protected Forest, v1.1
- VM0012: Improved Forest Management in Temperate and Boreal Forests (LtPF), v1.0 and 1.1
Finally, the original developer for VM0004 (Methodology for Conservation Projects that Avoid Planned Land Use Conversion in Peat Swamp Forests, v1.0) has decided not to update the methodology at this time; however, any other developer is welcome to do so.
All other VCS methodologies not mentioned here can continue to be used without restriction.
Questions or concerns related to how the revisions may implicate project development should be addressed firstname.lastname@example.org.
Climate, Community & Biodiversity Standards
Supporting land use projects in addressing climate change, supporting local communities and smallholders and conserving biodiversity
California Offset Project Registry
The VCS Offset Project Registry (OPR) facilitates the participation of offset projects within the California cap-and-trade program